The club shall be called East London Triathletes, hereinafter called the Club.
The Club shall be affiliated to The British Triathlon Association.
Object of the Club:
* To provide the opportunity for the members to take part in the sport of triathlon.
* To further the interests of the sport of triathlon wherever possible.
* To organise such events as the members shall desire.
* The Club shall consist of officers, members and honorary members.
* In accepting membership, a person agrees to abide by the constitution of the Club and the rulings of the Steering committee.
* All members of the Club shall have voting rights.
* The Executive Officers shall be The Chairman, The Treasurer, The Secretary, The Membership Secretary, the Team Captains and the Website Coordinator.
* The executive officers shall form the steering committee, which may also consist of other Club members.
* The officers shall retire annually but may be re-elected at the annual general meeting.
* The Steering Committee:
The management of the Club shall be vested in the steering committee (SC)
* The SC shall have the power to create and fill casual vacancies in its’ membership which, in its opinion, are necessary.
* The SC shall meet at least quarterly with a quorum of at least 4 members of the SC present and eligible to vote. In the event of an equality of votes the Chairman shall have a second or casting vote.
* The SC shall be able to form rules, which shall be binding on all Club members.
* The SC may employ professional officers at its discretion.
* Annual membership fees shall be stipulated by the SC and are due on 1 January. Fees should be paid to The Membership Secretary.
* The SC may bestow the accolade of honorary member on any person at its discretion.
* Annual General Meeting (AGM):
The AGM shall be held in January but not later than February.
* At this time the annual report and the audited statement of accounts shall be presented.
* At least 30 days notice of the AGM shall be given to all members. Members may request any items for inclusion into the agenda not less than 14 days before the date of the AGM. A copy of the agenda shall be available to all members attending the AGM.
* The quorum necessary for the transaction of business at the AGM shall be at least 7 members present.
* The AGM shall be used to select and install Executive and Steering Committee members for the ensuing year.
* All nominations must be proposed and seconded.
* Only subscribing or honorary members of the Club shall be present at the AGM.
* Notice of the AGM shall be sent to all members in December of the preceding year along with membership renewal forms. Subscription must have been received before attendance at the AGM can be permitted.
* Only members and honorary members shall be eligible to vote.
* No meeting shall be deemed to have taken place without the presence of The Club Chairman, Treasurer or Team Captain. In the event of none being present the meeting shall reconvene when at least one of the above shall be in attendance.
* Normally all matter shall be decided by a show of hands of those present. A member may request a secret ballot.
* Approval shall be of at least 50%+1 vote of all those present and eligible to vote for any resolution to be carried.
* The financial year of the Club ends on 31 December. An audited statement of accounts shall be prepared by the Treasurer and presented at the AGM.
* The funds of the Club shall be deposited at a bank or building society. Cheques drawn shall be signed by at least two members of the Executive Committee.
* Wherever possible receipts for expenditure should be given to the Treasurer.
* The Chairman has the ability to approve expenditure up to a limit of £50.00 (fifty pounds). Above £50.00 approval should be sought from at least two other executive committee members following notification to the Treasurer. Where approval is not given a meeting of the executive committee shall be called and the matter discussed further and then put to a vote.
Statement of Equal Opportunity:
* All members shall abide by the following statement and application for membership is evidence that they agree do so:
* ‘This Club shall not discriminate in any manner whatsoever. We are a sports club that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, ability, or sexual orientation’.
* Any member found discriminating on any of the above grounds shall be asked to resign from the Club and the reason for their resignation shall be passed onto The British Triathlon Association.
The executive committee shall have the power to take appropriate disciplinary action against a member. The executive committee shall have the authority to expel from the Club a member guilty of conduct deemed to be to the detriment of the Club. A breach of the Club’s equal opportunities statement shall be deemed to be detrimental to the Club. A member shall have the right to appeal. The Club Chairman must receive a written request of an appeal within 14 days of the executive committee’s decision. The Chairman shall then all an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM). All members shall be informed of the date and the reason for the EGM at least 14 days in advance. The matter shall then be discussed at the AGM and a further secret ballot taken to uphold or reject the decision of the Executive Committee. The appellant has the right to represent himself at this meeting. A vote from the EGM is final.
* Proposed additions or alterations to this constitution shall be submitted to the Secretary and shall be discussed at the AGM. No resolution involving and amendment or change to the constitution may be proposed or seconded from the floor of the AGM.
* In the event of any question or matter arising that is not provided for in the constitution such question or matter shall be dealt with by the Executive Committee whose decision shall be final.
A member may withdraw from the Club by giving notice, verbally or written, to the Membership Secretary.